- Partner News
- Media Releases
- Mainstream News
We want to inform you about the recent NTI AGM held in Cambridge Bay from October 24th to the 26th, 2023.
During this event, the following representatives from KIA made noteworthy contributions: 1. Sam Alagalak – Acting President
2. Hamish Tatty – Acting Vice President
3. Guy Enuapik – Director of Whale Cove, brought visionary guidance.
4. Annie Eetuk – Represented our elders.
5. Helena Maliki – Director of Naujaat, attended virtually.
6. Tony Uluadluak – Director of Arviat, attended virtually.
7. Kono Tattuinee – Regrettably, not available, but remained committed.
8. David Kuksuk – Regrettably, not available, but remained committed.
During this gathering, the KIA team focused on the following key issues:
1. Improved communication on programs initiated by NTI and RIA’s.
2. Bringing elders closer to their home.
3. Ensuring Inuit maintain authority over wildlife.
4. Increasing the quota for Polar Bear.
5. Elevating the principles of Inuit Qaujimajatugangit (1Q).
6. Addressing the issue of Dene overlap for Arviarmuit with more transparency and better communication.
7. Protecting Caribou calving and nalluit in the Draft Land Use Plan.
8. Receiving updates on the Southampton Marine Protected Area.
9. Implementing an NTI procurement policy for better transparency and integrity.
One item we at KIA hoped to include on part of the resolution was Housing Subsidy for elder homeowners. We at KIA will keep pushing NTI to bring a resolution on the item at a later date. We plan to also do a resolution to our next board meeting regarding this important item.
The NTI AGM has concluded, and KIA would like to thank NTI staff and board for another successful meeting.