Research Analyst – Research and Data Management
The Chiefs of Ontario is inviting applications for the position of Research Analyst, Research and Data Management Sector. The Research Analyst will work with the Senior Data Strategist, Research and Data Management (RDM) and is a member of the RDM team at the Chiefs of Ontario. The Research Analyst will have excellent organizational and analytic skills and will be involved in planning, organizing and implementing the work of the First Nation Data Table. The Research Analyst will conduct their activities and interactions in a manner that is respectful of diversity, and in alignment with First Nations culture and traditions.
Location: Hybrid – Remote and Chiefs of Ontario Secretariat Office, 468 Queen St East, Toronto Ontario
Key Research Projects of the First Nations Data Table:
- Review of Ontario Government Data projects: This will require a comprehensive review of Ontario government data initiatives, including data used, authorities, rationale, purpose and implementation. Special attention is to be paid on how First Nations data is collected, used and disclosed. This includes an understanding of First Nations Data Sovereignty and Data Governance.
- Community privacy: Developing a theoretical and practical understanding of Community Privacy, particularly within health and demographic data used by the Ontario government.
- Developing Learning Initiatives: The First Nations Data Table is committed to two way learning. This requires understanding and applying the principles of OCAP®, the United Nations Declaration on Indigenous People, Truth and Reconciliation and First Nations world views. You will be tasked with developing accessible learnings on legislation such as PIPEDA, FIPPA, MFIPPA, and PHIPA. Interpreting government policies, procedures and practices will be important in understanding how government functions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work as a key member of the Chiefs of Ontario RDM team.
- Provides advice and analysis to support decision making to the RDM Team and First Nation Data Table.
- Complete a Scan of Ontario Government Data and Digital Initiatives
- Research models of Data Governance and Data Sovereignty, including the provincial health data authority.
- Build relationships and knowledge that advances First Nations data sovereignty.
- Build and maintain relationships with First Nations leaders, Provincial and external organizations.
- Work with the RDM team to build a foundation of understanding by developing modifying previous training modules and deliver learning modules to government personnel.
- Provide progress reports and prepare memos, briefing notes, speaking notes and presentations.
- Attend meetings and gatherings when required.
- Consistently demonstrate courteous, cooperative and helpful behavior to all contacts, internal and external.
- Carry out other duties as required.
- Travel will be required.
- A graduate degree in health, indigenous relations or science or 5 years of experience in the First Nations or Indigenous research.
- Knowledge of First Nation traditions cultures and values; understanding the history and relationship between First Nations and the Crown.
- Experience working with First Nations communities and/or organizations is an asset.
- Knowledge of data governance principles for First Nations data in Ontario.
- Knowledge of privacy and related regulations related to data
- Experience in research and report writing.
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative research.
- Experience with provincial and federal governments such as Ministry of Health and Public Health Ontario, Indigenous Services Canada.
- Excellent communication skills, including written and verbal.
- Excellent project coordination skills with the ability to prioritize workload and manage multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and function independently.
- Must be trustworthy, reliable and maintain confidentiality.
Successful candidate must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and eligible to work in Canada.
DURATION: January 2024 to March 31, 2025, with the possibility of renewal based on available funding.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled.
Send letter of application, resume and include 2 references marked confidential to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be held in Zoom. While we appreciate all applications, only those candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.