Bell Media Announces 2023/24 Original Programming Slate
TORONTO (June 8, 2023) – Ahead of today’s 2023 Upfront presentation, Bell Media unveils its English and French-language original content slate for 2023/24, totaling 96 titles and 1037 hours of original content. Produced in partnership with independent production partners and Bell Media Studios, the impressive programming lineup doubles down on returning fan-favourites and beloved franchises, and adds compelling new series from a diverse roster of well-known and emerging Canadian storytellers. “Our 2023/24 slate illustrates Bell Media’s unwavering commitment to developing and creating original programming,” said Karine Moses, Senior Vice President, Content Development & News for Bell Media and Vice Chair, Québec for Bell. “We take great pride in collaborating with our visionary production partners to deliver compelling content that reflects Canadian experiences, yet resonates around the world.” Among today’s announcements:
- Based on the hit international format THE TRAITORS, English and French-language versions of the psychological reality competition series are greenlit for CTV (THE TRAITORS: CANADA) and Noovo (LES TRAÎTRES). As announced on Tuesday, in a Bell Media first, Karine Vanasse (CARDINAL) will host both the English and French-language versions of the series.
- CTV adds new lifestyle reality special THE TAKE BACK, which gives Canadians across the country a second chance at their cancelled celebrations.
- Celebrated Canadian comedian Russell Peters hosts THE RP4 HOSTED BY RUSSELL PETERS for CTV Comedy Channel, and is the subject of new Crave documentary RUSSELL PETERS.
- CTV Sci-Fi Channel becomes the exclusive home to comedy horror series REGINALD THE VAMPIRE.
- New docuseries THE SQUAD unveils the story behind the 1991 arrest of Wanda Holloway in Texas for CTV Drama Channel.
- Notable names at the helm of Crave Original series include: KIDS IN THE HALL’s Bruce McCulloch who presents the new sketch comedy series THE DESSERT; Nikolaj Coster-Waldau who hosts the new series THE OPTIMIST’S GUIDE TO THE PLANET WITH NIKOLAJ COSTER-WALDAU; Alex Wolff, Thea Sofie Loch Næss, Anna Torv, and Noah Taylor who star in the new international co-production SO LONG, MARIANNE, about the story that inspired Leonard Cohen’s infamous love song; and online legends Jae and Trey Richards who bring hilarious new comedy THE OFFICE MOVERS.
- More Crave Originals include: new comedy series THE TRADES from the producers of TRAILER PARK BOYS; first-ever short form series NESTING; Indigenous comedy series DON’T EVEN; and a bevy of ground-breaking documentaries.
- Morgan Kohan, Chad Michael Murray, and Scott Patterson return for Season 2 of the #1 new Canadian drama SULLIVAN’S CROSSING.
- CTV confirms a new season of FARMING FOR LOVE (Season 2), which joins the previously announced renewals of award-winning and fan-favourite series THE AMAZING RACE CANADA (Season 9), CHILDREN RUIN EVERYTHING (Season 3), and TRANSPLANT (Season 4).
- CTV Life Channel renews award-winning cooking series MARY MAKES IT EASY for a third season.
- CTV Comedy Channel leans on the laughs with renewals for hit series ROAST BATTLE CANADA (Season 4) and ACTING GOOD (Season 2).
- Award-winning Crave Originals returning for new seasons include: Season 4 of CANADA’S DRAG RACE, coming later this year; Season 2 of CANADA’S DRAG RACE: CANADA VS. THE WORLD; a second season of WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE (EVEN JAY BARUCHEL); and Season 2 of docu-comedy series PILLOW TALK.
- Discovery Networks renews popular factual series including FEAR THY NEIGHBOR (Season 9), HIGHWAY THRU HELL (Season 12), LAST OF THE GIANTS (Season 3), and FORENSIC FACTOR (Season 7) from Bell Media Studios.
- Originals continue to drive French conventional network Noovo with just announced titles including the return of hit SURVIVOR QUÉBEC for Season 2.
- Bell Media Studios orders new seasons of CTV YOUR MORNING, THE SOCIAL, and Canada’s #1 entertainment news program ETALK – along with the just announced new daytime series THE GOOD STUFF WITH MARY BERG hosted by Mary Berg.
Bell Media’s New English and French-Language Primetime Original Entertainment Productions Slate from Independent Producers Includes the Following, With Additional Titles to Be Announced Later This Year. For Returning Series Synopses, Click Here.
New English-Language Series:
BATTLE OF THE GENERATIONS – CTV *previously announced
BATTLE OF THE GENERATIONS not only asks how well you know your own generation, but how well you know your rivals’ generations – ultimately resolving the question of which generation has what it takes to win it all. (Bell Media Studios/GroupM Motion Entertainment)
BILLIONAIRE MURDERS – Crave*previously announced
Premiering June 16, the four-part docuseries explores the unsolved murders of Canadian power couple, Barry and Honey Sherman. The series narrative is driven by leading investigative journalist, and the pre-eminent expert on the case, Kevin Donovan. BILLIONAIRE MURDERS features illuminating interviews and compelling details of the case, including an intimate look at the crime scene, and access to key figures connected to the couple, along with information from confidential sources with insight crucial to the unsolved murder mystery. (Entertainment One)
BRIA MACK GETS A LIFE – Crave*previously announced
A half-hour comedy series that follows Bria Mack, a 25-year-old Black woman, as she navigates adulthood in a predominantly white world – which is made all the more difficult, but also more tolerable – by Black Attack, her invisible hype girl. (New Metric Media)