- Fort Albany First Nation – $100,000 investment to provide opportunities for members to develop their entrepreneurial skills and knowledge and start new businesses.
- Moose Cree First Nation – $100,000 investment to create a detailed project plan to open a co-operative.
- Webequie First Nation – $100,000 investment to assess the feasibility of a co-op store model.
- MoCreebec Eeyoud – $100,000 investment towards optimizing future community opportunities as a result of an expanded fibre optic network, including retaining technical experts to support planning and training.
- Neskantaga First Nation – $90,000 investment to update the First Nation’s Economic Development Plan and set up an Economic Development Corporation.
- Chapleau Cree First Nation – $50,000 investment to conduct a feasibility study for a multipurpose complex in the First Nation.
“Investing in economic development projects in Northern First Nation communities is an essential part of promoting economic prosperity across the North,” said Minister Rickford. “These community-led initiatives are providing opportunities for economic and job growth, and we are proud to support these projects throughout our province.”
“We are pleased that Ontario has provided funding to expand economic development and infrastructure to more remote First Nations,” said Grand Chief Alvin Fiddler. “This is a vital investment that will allow for the development of much needed economic opportunities for these six NAN communities. The funding will strengthen communities by providing the opportunity to plan for employment and create a better quality of life.”
Creating opportunities for Indigenous people to achieve personal, professional and financial success is part of Ontario’s commitment to creating a better future for all Ontarians.
- The Indigenous Economic Development Fund provides grants and financing to Indigenous businesses and Indigenous communities and organizations. The fund helps promote economic development and improve socio-economic outcomes for Indigenous people.
- Nishnawbe Aski Nation is a political territorial organization representing 49 First Nation communities within northern Ontario.