Saskatoon Tribal Council: Community Economic Developer
Saskatoon Tribal Council (STC) improves the quality of life of First Nations through mutually beneficial partnerships with community organizations and industry. Opportunities for improved living are accessed through programs and services in health, safety, economic development, education, and financial investments in the broader community. Acting as a representative body for seven First Nations, STC delivers programs and services to those living in member communities and Saskatoon. More information is available at www.sktc.sk.ca.
FIRE: Fairness, Integrity, Respect, Excellence
STC is looking for a candidate who is a positive leader, driven to achieve results and a solid track record of getting things done. This is a new position which will report to the Senior Director of the newly integrated Economic Development Agency of Saskatoon Tribal Council Inc. This position will work very closely with the corporate business operations and investment arm of STC Investments Inc., the Legacy Partnerships Unit, and STC Employment and Training Services. The successful candidate will experience an exciting, high-energy role that will act as a motivator of people, a connector and catalyst to many.
- Work with all STC First Nation portfolio Councilors, Land Managers, and other economic development officers in all STC member First Nation communities to assist and support the development of various community-based economic projects and action plans;
- Liaise closely with and establish strong networks and relationships among all other agencies and services supporting regional and community economic development, small business counseling and financing, entrepreneurship training and other support services;
- Work to enhance value-added and land-based development of First Nations lands and to maximize the economic potential of First Nations land management;
- Work with other business and industrial supply chains and partners to promote the added sub-contracting and linkage to various First Nations small businesses and entrepreneurs;
- Encourage the overall development of an entrepreneurial culture of small business and/or growth of smaller scale co-operative developments to advance the growth and employment opportunities of First Nation individuals and their communities.
- A Bachelor of Commerce or post-secondary education, post-graduate training or certification in business administration, economic development and/or land management;
- Minimum of 5 yrs. experience in Community Economic and Social Development;
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and report writing);
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Demonstrate creativity, resourcefulness and innovative thinking;
- Possess skills in building rapport and developing relationships;
- Possess strong competencies in diplomacy and tact to work alongside and support various Band members, community-based teams, and other stakeholders;
- Knowledge of community-based organizations, economic and community-based support systems and programs, land management and an understanding of First Nation challenges and issues;
- Working knowledge of PC software applications (MS Office applications, internet, database familiarity);
- Knowledge of the political, social and economic objectives of the Saskatoon Tribal Council and of the Dakota, Cree, and Saulteaux cultures will be considered an asset;
- Must possess a valid Saskatchewan driver’s license, a reliable vehicle and meet STC’s insurance requirements;
- Must provide a current, original, Canadian Criminal Record Check (CPIC) as a condition of employment; and
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, evenings and weekends, and to perform other related duties as required or assigned.
Job posting closes 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, January 22, 2019. To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter along with three (3) references using our online application form.